Wildside Press
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (1945)

2 posters

Go down

the Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (1945) Empty the Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (1945)

Post by garyleeoz Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:15 am

I really enjoyed watching George Sanders in this movie where he plays a "mild mannered" character who is liked by everyone ( his co-workers at the textile mill affectionately call him "Uncle Harry" ) ... but is still capable of murderous thoughts in the right circumstances. Harry's familiar world is turned upside with the arrival of the Ella Raines character. Unfortunately, their romance upsets one of his sisters, Letty, (Geraldine Fitzgerald) who schemes to break it up when it looks as if the upcoming marriage will force the sisters to move out of the family home (the family fortune was lost during the depression leaving only the family home and debts to Harry and his sisters. Harry chose to go to work while his sisters stay at home. Letty prefers to stay in her room all day with her plants).

The movie is based on a play which has a different ending to the movie. According to IDMB trivia, Universal tried out a number of different endings with a test audience. You can guess what the play's ending may have been like. I wasn't too upset with the ending that I saw.

garyleeoz

Back to top Go down

the Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (1945) Empty Re: the Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (1945)

Post by Bruce R Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:48 pm

Yes, you could almost say Sanders was cast out-of-character for this one.  And while a rather versatile actor, he still reigns as King of Cad.

Bruce R

Bruce R

Back to top Go down