Wildside Press
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Brothers

2 posters

Go down

The Brothers Empty The Brothers

Post by Bruce R Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:20 pm

I can’t say I enjoyed the 1947 Brit noir THE BROTHERS.  To be fair, my wife thought it a good film.  While it had noir-ish aspects, it’s not the kind of noir that I enjoy.

It’s set on the Scottish island of Skye at the turn of the century (20th) and involves two feuding clans (the Macrae’s and McFarish’s). 

The film stars Patricia Roc, Will Fyffe, Maxwell Reed, Finlay Currie and John Laurie. 

Adding fuel to the fire, the pretty Roc goes to work for the Macrae clan.  This not only causes tension between the clans but between the two brothers of the Macrae’s (Reed and Laurie).

Keaney gave it a high 3.0 and the IMDb score is 7.1, so I’m probably being too hard on the film.

I’m just not entertained by non-stop infantile fighting anymore than some idiotic reality show showing morons being morons.

I’m not recommending this one.  If anyone has viewed it and feels differently, would appreciate your thoughts.

Bruce R

Bruce R

Back to top Go down

The Brothers Empty Re: The Brothers

Post by garyleeoz Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:14 pm

Perhaps it's the fake Scottish accents spoken by English actors that put you off the movie ?  Just joking. I think we've been exposed to too much sibling rivalry in films and TV that the shock value of a Cain and Abel story just doesn't cut it like it may have in 1947. Actually, I never thought of "the Brothers" as "film noir" so I'm surprised it was rated by Keaney.

*** I just watched some scenes from the movie on Youtube to refresh my memory since it's been several years since I last watched it. Not exactly like Cain and Abel ... more like Othello I guess. So it's supposed to play like a Shakepearean or Greek tragedy set on a remote island. Not exactly like that Ealing comedy, "Whiskey Galore" which also featured illegal whiskey distilleries on a remote Scottish island.

Here's a non-sequitor ... I recently recorded "the Playboy of the Western World" (1963) which stars more English actors with fake Irish accents although it was directed by an Irish director and was filmed on location in Ireland. Unfortunately I'm missing the opening credits (featuring one of Sean O'Riada's songs that was later recorded by the Chieftains). I had my recorder set for 5mins before the scheduled start time but the TV station decided to start the movie even earlier than that (some days you just can't win). ps. the movie is based on a famous Irish play so I'm not expecting it to be very "cinematic".

Last edited by garyleeoz on Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info)

garyleeoz

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce R Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:51 am

I, too, was surprised at THE BROTHERS inclusion in Keaney’s British Film Noir Guide.  However, he always erred on the side of inclusion rather than exclusion.

Too much sibling rivalry indeed!  Agreed.

I haven’t viewed Whiskey Galore.  Do you recommend it?  I don’t have a copy but Amazon video has it for US$1.99.

Good luck with THE PLAYBOY OF THE WESTERN WORLD.  Haven’t seen that in years and frankly don’t remember anything about it, other than the title.

I remember the frustration of stations not sticking to their schedules and missing opening credits (or film endings!) when I use to do a lot of recording.  A pet peeve of mine.

Now I’m actually concentrating on viewing rather than recording.  It’s far more pleasurable.

Bruce R

Bruce R

Back to top Go down

Post by garyleeoz Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:16 am

Whiskey Galore is worth a look if you like post war British comedies like "the Lavender Hill Mob" and "the LadyKillers". It's known in America as "Tight Little Island" and gets a 4 star rating in Maltin's 2005 Movie Guide. That unusually high rating was probably why I made an effort to watch it rather than just "file it away for a future viewing". Other movies in a similar vein are "Kind Hearts and Coronets" and "Laughter in Paradise"... you may find them a little "strange" ... sort of an acquired taste perhaps.

garyleeoz

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce R Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:52 am

I did enjoy THE LAVENDER HILL MOB and THE LADYKILLERS.  I remember KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS being on the strange side. I haven't viewed LAUGHTER IN PARADISE, but have a copy, so I think I'll dig that out and give it a look.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Bruce R

Bruce R

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum