Wildside Press
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Older British Series Mysteries

Go down

Older British Series Mysteries Empty Older British Series Mysteries

Post by Chris Ellis Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:18 am

Hi All: 

Not may posts here lately but thought this may be of interest. For many years (40+) I have been interested in mystery/detective/thriller series films and have managed to view almost all I have tried to find. However, some have always eluded me, notably some obscurer British films. Much to my surprise however, I have discovered that some of these are now available on YouTube although I have not yet had a chance to view them.

One highly sought after series is three films from the 1930s, the first film appearances of Hercule Poirot and starring Austin Trevor as the detective. I was always told these films were lost. However, I have discovered the third one, Lord Edgeware Dies, is available for viewing...I only glanced at the first couple of minutes but a great copy too although it has an annoying time counter at top.

Another series I have sought is a two film 1952 one with John Bentley as "The Toff", a literary character created by John Creasey. Both are available on YouTube: Salute the Toff and Hammer the Toff, and again in decent copies based on a brief glance.

So at least three blanks on my wish list filled in here when I have a chance to view them! Now, if I could only find One is Guilty in the Inspector Trent Series with Ralph Bellamy and the obscure Philo Vance film Night of Mystery (1937) --I know the latter exists but try and find a copy!

Cheers, Chris.

Chris Ellis

Back to top Go down

Older British Series Mysteries Empty Re: Older British Series Mysteries

Post by Chris Ellis Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:29 pm

Well I watched Lord Edgeware Dies (1934)...need I say it...it should have stayed a lost film! Plot okay as one would expect from an Agatha Christie film but much of the acting, and directing I might ad, was abysmal. The guy playing Inspector Japp was pretty good as was the guy paying Lord Edgeware but the guy playing Captain Hastings was pretty annoying and the Lady Edgeware actress was okay in some scenes but pretty bad in others. And the woman playing Edgeware's daughter had a habit of always looking steadily sideways away from whoever she as talking too, perhaps to feign indifference or reluctance to speak to an inquisiter and at the instruction of the director. And Austin Trevor's fake French-English accent (yes he is said to be French rather than Belgian) was a bit much to take too...or perhaps I have been spoiled by David Suchet's portrayal!

Chris Ellis

Back to top Go down