Wildside Press
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Singapore (1947)

Go down

Singapore (1947) Empty Singapore (1947)

Post by Bruce R Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:54 pm

It had been over 8 years since I last viewed the 1947 noir SINGAPORE starring Fred MacMurray and Ava Gardner.  I had forgotten that I ever viewed it!

But it's a very enjoyable noir that I would rate higher than Keaney's 2.0.

WWII veteran Matt Gordon (Fred MacMurray) returns to"relive" his romance with, and marriage to, a girl named Linda (Ava Gardner), whom he assumes was killed in a bombing raid on their wedding night.

His return, however, was not entirely motivated by sentimentality. He also wanted recover the pearls he had hidden before the war in his previous occupation of smuggler.  He runs into gangsters who are also after the pearls and who are convinced that he's returned to retrieve them.

He also meets wealthy Michael Van Leyden (Roland Culver), who is married to a woman who closely resembles the lost love Linda--in fact, it IS Linda.  She's been suffering from amnesia ever since the wartime bombing.

If you enjoyed Casablanca, you'll enjoy this one.  (NOTE: I'm not saying this is Casablanca 2.0!).

Apparently the film was remade in 1957 (ISTANBUL) starring Errol Flynn. I don't have a copy but there's a copy on YouTube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWzts-maPv8.  Haven't viewed it yet so can't say anything about it.

Bruce R

Bruce R

Back to top Go down