Sherlock Holmes 1916

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sherlock Holmes 1916

Post by Chris Ellis on Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:08 pm

Hi: Did anyone happen to notice that TCM showed, about a week ago, the previously thought lost 1916 Sherlock Holmes starring William Gillette? It was made by Essaney in Chicago and a copy was rediscovered in France a couple of years ago. I recorded it but have not yet watched. The copy looks great and the film is almost two hours long which seems long to me for a silent film of that era. In any case, I only discovered it was on by accident but was surprised no one had mentioned it here. Cheers, Chris Ellis.

Chris Ellis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sherlock Holmes 1916

Post by Bruce R on Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:56 pm

I stopped checking TCM years ago.  I would only very occasionally find something I didn't have and wanted.  Additionally with the DVR I now have I can't make copies anyway.

Thus I occasionally pay the price and wish I had.

However, the 1916 Holmes is on the very top of my ClassicFlix queue, but they haven't shipped it yet.

Here's a link from an article about it:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/movies/ct-sherlock-holmes-william-gillette-essanay-cinematheque-20150521-column.html

Here's the ClassicFlix writeup:

SYNOPSIS:
Long considered lost until a complete dupe negative was identified in the vaults of la Cinémathèque française last year, this William Gillette film is a vital missing link in the history of Sherlock Holmes on screen. By the time it was produced at Essanay Studios in 1916, Gillette had been established as the world's foremost interpreter of Holmes on stage-having played him approximately 1300 times since his 1899 debut.

This newly-restored edition, thanks to the monumental efforts of both the San Francisco Silent Film Festival and la Cinémathèque française, represents the sole surviving appearance of Gillette's Holmes on film. Presented with optional French and English intertitles and an original score composed and performed by Neil Brand, Guenter Buchwald, and Frank Bockius, Flicker Alley is honored to bring Sherlock Holmes onto Blu-ray and DVD for the first time ever.

The film faithfully retains the play's famous set pieces-Holmes's encounter with Professor Moriarty, his daring escape from the Stepney Gas Chamber, and the tour-de-force deductions. It also illustrates how Gillette, who wrote the adaptation himself, wove bits from Conan Doyle's stories ranging from "A Scandal in Bohemia" to "The Final Problem," into an original, innovative mystery play.

And, some interesting bonuses:

BONUS FEATURES:

Sherlock Holmes Baffled (1900): Courtesy of the Library of Congress and presented in HD, this is the earliest known film to feature the character of Sherlock Holmes
   A Canine Sherlock (1912): From the EYE Film Institute, the film stars Spot the Dog as the titular character
   Più forte che Sherlock Holmes (1913): Also from the EYE Film Institute, this entertaining Italian trick-film owes as much to Méliès as it does Doyle
   HD transfers from the Fox Movietone Collection: Interview with Arthur Conan Doyle and outtakes from a 1930 broadcast with William Gillette showing off his amateur railroad
   A PDF manuscript of the 1899 Sherlock Holmes play by William Gillette.
   A PDF of the original contract between William Gillette and the Essanay Film Manufacturing Company
   A booklet featuring images from the film and information about the restoration project

For those, like myself, who missed it, the dvd is scheduled to release on November 10, 2015.

Bruce R

Bruce R

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by alanfox on Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:13 am

Anyone know where I could download a copy of this? Thanks.
alanfox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce R on Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:24 am

Sorry, Alan, but I have no idea. But I haven't tried either.

Perhaps after the November 10 release date.

Also, it sounds like something TCM would air...at some point.

Bruce R

Bruce R

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by alanfox on Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:00 am

alanfox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top