Wildside Press
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Off Topic: TV antennas and recording

3 posters

Go down

Off Topic:  TV antennas and recording Empty Off Topic: TV antennas and recording

Post by Bruce R Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:34 pm

I haven't kept up with all the new TV viewing possibilities in addition to Directv and Dish.

I'm tired of paying what I am for Directv but it's certainly handy to record shows and blast through the commercials.  

The last time I tried to record off Directv it was a no-go after years of recording.

Netflix is certainly a great deal and I have access to Amazon Video through Amazon Prime.

What is everyone else doing/viewing?

Bruce R

P.S.  Haven't watched the old movies since getting hooked on Blue Bloods, but that won't last forever.  I'm catching up all the time.

Bruce R

Back to top Go down

Off Topic:  TV antennas and recording Empty Re: Off Topic: TV antennas and recording

Post by Don Mc Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:57 pm

TIVO has several good OTA receivers. They allow you to record up to 4 shows at a time. They also have skip which allows you to skip commercials on recorded shows with the push of a button. 
Theses receivers also give you access to your Netflix and Amazon accounts as well as some other streaming services. You might want to check TIVO out.

Don Mc

Back to top Go down

Off Topic:  TV antennas and recording Empty Re: Off Topic: TV antennas and recording

Post by Bruce R Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:34 pm

Thank you, Don.  I'll give TIVO a look.

Do you know of any other possibilities that would allow for recording of more programs?

Bruce R

Bruce R

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Mc Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:16 pm

Sorry, I am only familiar with TIVO. Perhaps someone else can offer info on other receivers.

Don Mc

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce R Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:01 pm

Thanks again, Don, for responding.

Just for those who may benefit from my experience, I called Directv and told them I'm not going to pay $138/month any longer.  I simply don't watch enough TV for that.  And that's on top of a Netflix sub.

Finally got transferred to their VIP department and I went over the stations (only 9) that I'm interested in.  They dropped it to $74.21 (plus tax--which in Oregon is zero) with a 12-month commitment.  I have two setups.

I'm probably still overpaying but I cut my monthly damages and hopefully within the next year I can figure out the minimum I want/need.

I just don't have the time to allocate to really do the research on all of this.

And I really want to be able to record since I'm virtually never around when anything is aired.  I also want to blast through commercials which I absolutely refuse to watch.

Bruce R

Bruce R

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Mc Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:37 pm

I would be lost without my DVRS. I also love to skip commercials.

Don Mc

Back to top Go down

Post by garyleeoz Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:01 am

Someone out there must be watching commercials. Otherwise the advertising agencies and the commercial TV channels would be going broke. Actually I hate commercials as well ... especially when I'm forced to watch them on catchup TV websites (where you have to watch the commercials before they let you watch the next part of a TV show). It's just agony when the same ones are repeated at every ad break (it's then time to make another cup of coffee).

garyleeoz

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce R Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:01 pm

I need something stronger than coffee to get through them!

Bruce R

Bruce R

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down