Topper (1937)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Topper (1937)

Post by Bruce R on Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:00 pm

Nothing new here, but again very much enjoyed the original 1937 TOPPER.

Roland Young does a fabulous job as Topper (and he did win an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his efforts.

Our youngest suggested we watch it and her suggesting a B&W film must be validated.  It's a very rare occurrence.

Also, our son's fiancee, who is now living with us while he is stationed in Washington, had never seen the film so I like to take ANY opportunity to expose the younger generation(s) to the wonders of B&W films.

Bruce R

Bruce R

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Topper (1937)

Post by alanfox on Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:09 am

Yes, one of my favorites. There were two sequels, "Topper takes a trip" (which sucked) and "Topper Returns" which was very good. I would recommend it.
alanfox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce R on Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:51 am

It's been almost 10 years since I've viewed any of the Topper series and I remember one not being as good as the rest, but couldn't remember which one.

Will have to dig out the two you mention and give them another look.

Bruce R

Bruce R

View user profile

Back to top Go down

a B/W detour away from TOPPER

Post by garyleeoz on Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:13 am

Bruce R wrote: ...
Our youngest suggested we watch it and her suggesting a B&W film must be validated.  It's a very rare occurrence.

Also, our son's fiancee, who is now living with us while he is stationed in Washington, had never seen the film so I like to take ANY opportunity to expose the younger generation(s) to the wonders of B&W films.

Bruce R

I wonder what your youngest  or your son's financee think about recent B/W pop music videos ... or why they would ever be made in B/W.  Here's one by Paramore's Hayley Williams and Joy Williams (not sisters)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZweyIKNwX4

OK, it's a sad song so perhaps B/W fits the song's sad mood. I was half expecting the color to bleed through at the end of the music video.

Gary

garyleeoz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce R on Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:48 am

I keep forgetting to ask, but once I do remember I'll post their responses.

Bruce R

Bruce R

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top