Wildside Press
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To the Ends of the Earth

2 posters

Go down

To the Ends of the Earth Empty To the Ends of the Earth

Post by Bruce R Sun May 08, 2016 1:40 am

For most of the longish 1948 noir TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH it had the feel and sound more of a early 50's crime documentary (had an appearance by Commissioner of Narcotics H.J. Anslinger himself and was based on US Treasury documents) than a noir. It did pick up at the end though.

Stars a host of good actors including Dick Powell, Signe Hasso, Vladimir Sokoloff and John Hoyt.

Powell, as commissioner Michael Barrows is hunting down a narcotics ring from Shanghai to Cairo to Beirut and Havana (and hence the title).

Keaney gave it a rather high (IMO) 3.0.

No commercial release that I know of, viewed a rather good copy taken off the Mystery Channel.

Worth a view, but nothing outstanding.

Bruce R

Bruce R

Back to top Go down

To the Ends of the Earth Empty Re: To the Ends of the Earth

Post by inDefiance Tue May 10, 2016 3:21 pm

If you're interested, it's on TCM Wednesday, May 11, at 10:00 p.m. ET (7:00 p.m. PT). I don't think I've seen it so I plan to watch. Thanks for all your reviews, Bruce!

inDefiance

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce R Tue May 10, 2016 4:19 pm

Thanks for the heads up inDefiance.  I've stopped monitoring the TCM (or any other) schedule due to diminishing returns.

And you're most welcome re:  the reviews.  I don't do an extensive write-up due to time and I try to avoid spoilers, so it's more of a "hey, check this out" than a formal review.

Bruce R

Bruce R

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum